Position: Lecturer in Systematic Theology
Doctor of Philosophy
Master of Theological Studies
Bachelor of Divinity
Melbourne College of Divinity
Bachelor of Arts
Areas of Teaching
- Research Fellow Centre for Public and Contextual Theology, Charles Sturt University
- Principal of St Francis Theological College Brisbane (2009-2016)
- Dean of St Peter’s Cathedral Adelaide (2000-2009)
Steven Ogden is Research Fellow with the Public and Contextual Theology Centre, and adjunct lecturer in theology, Charles Sturt University Australia. He is former principal of St Francis Theological College Brisbane and Dean of St Peter’s Cathedral Adelaide. He is a member of the North American Foucault Circle, and the Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy.
Steven’s research interests include political theology, political philosophy, gender-based violence, power-relations, entitlement, and masculinity. He is interested in the work of Etienne Balibar, Judith Butler, Michel Foucault, Elisabeth Schussler Fiorenza, and Karl Rahner.
- Violence, Entitlement, and Politics: A Theology on Transforming the Subject. New York and London: Routledge, 2021 (forthcoming).
- The Church, Authority and Foucault: Imagining the Church as an Open Space of Freedom. New York and London: Routledge, 2018.
- The Presence of God in the World: A Contribution to Postmodern Christology based on the Theologies of Paul Tillich and Karl Rahner. Bern: Peter Lang, 2007.
- “Power: Michel Foucault, human identity and the church” in Speaking Differently: Essays in Theological Anthropology. Phillip W. Tolliday and Heather Thomson editors. Canberra: Barton Press, 2013, 127-144.
- “Wisdom as well as facts” in The Once and Future Scriptures: Exploring the Role of the Bible in the Contemporary Church. Gregory C Jenks editor. Seattle: Polebridge Press, 2013, 43-61.
- “In the spirit of Tillich: A postmodern christology based on the theology of Paul Tillich” in The International Yearbook for Tillich Studies: Jesus of Nazareth and the New Being in History. Volume 6. Christian Danz, Marc Dumas, Werner Schüßler, Mary Ann Stenger and Erdmann Sturm editors. Berlin and Boston: De Gruyter, 2011, 187-219.
- “Changing our culture of masculine entitlement”, ABC Religion and Ethics (24.03.21) https://www.abc.net.au/religion/changing-our-culture-of-masculine-entitlement/13271748
- “The problem of strong man politics”, ABC Religion and Ethics (16.03.20) https://www.abc.net.au/religion/strong-man-politics/12060722
- “Ekklesia as open space: Responding to the Church’s power problem”, The Other Journal 30 (January 2019). firstname.lastname@example.org
- Huffer, L. Ogden, S. Patton, P, Sawicki, J. “Foucauldian Spaces: Round Table Discussion”, Foucault Studies, (June 2018) No. 24, 77-101. https://rauli.cbs.dk/index.php/foucault-studies/article/view/5527
- “On common ground: The image of God and the virtue of Love”, Dialogue Australasia: Values, Philosophy and Religious Studies. Vol. 27 (May 2012), 26-29.
Ad Hoc research journal reviewer
- 2020 Horizons: The Journal of the College Theology Society
- 2020 Religion and literature
- “Foucault and Christianity” round table discussion, 19th annual meeting of the Foucault Circle in Brisbane 2019, chaired by James Bernauer SJ.
- “Violence: Political Rationality and Embodied Subjectivity”, Foucault Circle, Cleveland 2018.
- “An Each-Way Bet: Foucault and Theology”, Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy, Hobart 2017.
- “Atonement and the sacralisation of obedience”, Australian New Zealand Association of Theological Schools, Melbourne 2016.
- “True knowledge and ecclesial discourse”, Australian New Zealand Association of Theological Schools, Sydney 2015.